Innovation in HSE in the age of increasing transparency
With sustained low oil prices, the petroleum industry must continuously improve its strong safety and environmental performance while also controlling costs and seeking savings.
More distrust, more demands
The industry also faces unprecedented levels of political uncertainty and community distrust. Activists and NGOs are using highly-accessible and broad-reaching social media platforms to call for greater transparency in resources industry operations.
Shareholders, financiers and communities are becoming increasingly more significant stakeholders. They are not only demanding more information on industry operations, but also wanting a direct say in how these operations are conducted.
Governments are also often seeking further regulation to mandate greater transparency, consultation and stakeholder inclusion.
Innovation is essential
The industry must use new technologies and approaches to address cost pressures; make workplaces safer; reduce environmental impacts; communicate with stakeholders; and enhance community benefits.
The 2017 APPEA HSE Conference will examine issues such as:
- Human factors and behaviour management: how guidance, assessment and learning tools can make operations safer, more efficient and effective.
- Technology and innovation: the role of advanced engineering, robotics, remote-sensing, cognitive science and big data analyses and the use of new communications platforms and media.
- Collaboration with other industries: how the oil and gas sector can work with aerospace, the nuclear and solar energy industries, and the military – as well as with stakeholders, regulators and governments.
- Adoption and adaption of the latest science, research and development and thought-leadership: how our industry can use advances in engineering, computing, physical science, environmental science, and social and behavioural sciences.
- How industry can enhance communication and collaboration with stakeholders and communities to build trust and lasting relationships.
Theatrical Play with Workshop
The APPEA HSE Conference will feature a theatre-based workshop exploring a real life industry safety incident.
This challenging and though-provoking presentation will illustrate crucial errors and lessons learnt.
The workshop will be followed by a panel discussion with leading industry representatives, providing an Australian perspective for audience participation and feedback on the issues highlighted.